Bold indicates in progress.
After you are engaged…
Take engagement pictures. (Here)
- Send out engagement announcements; announce your wedding in the newspaper if you’d like. – We’re not sending out announcements, but we will put something in the paper closer to the wedding.
- Have your engagement party. – Not having one.
12 months before your wedding day…
Pick a date and time for your wedding.- June 22, 2013 at about 2/2:30ish
- Buy a planner with a calendar, to-do list, and place to put all your ideas, coupons, etc. – We have a file folder.
Begin to discuss your wedding budget with your fiancé and family. Look at the average costs of some wedding vendors to get an idea of your budget.– The ‘rents have this one under control.
- Research local wedding vendors and write down their contact information. – The bridal show took care of most of this!
- Start looking for sales and deals for wedding dresses & other wedding-related items. – Always.
- Make sure you don’t start off on the wrong foot by making these common wedding planning mistakes. – I’m not doing any of these…I have a strict no-stress wedding policy.
11 months before your wedding day…
- Start interviewing wedding planners if you are going to hire one. – Not hiring one. That’s what my mama is for!
- Begin a guest list draft. – I have the list from my sister’s wedding, and I keep a running list in my head.
- Enlist your groom to help. If he’s not interested, read these tips for getting the groom involved. – I run pretty much everything by Keith…usually.
- Pick out your wedding colors. – Work. In. Progress. I know the men are in gray and the women are in navy…as for flowers…it’s up in the air.
Begin looking at ceremony & reception sites. – Both will be be at my church.
10 months before your wedding day…
Finalize your wedding budget with your groom and your families. Need tips for saving money? Read about money-smart wedding planning.– Again…I’m sure the ‘rents have it taken care of. Decide on your wedding party. Need help deciding who should be included?
- Sit down with your family to work on the guestlist.
- Choose a wedding planner. – Not hiring one.
- Decide on a wedding theme if you are going to have one. (Ideas: Romance, Going Green, Winter Wonderland) – No theme.
- Meet with different wedding vendors to discuss pricing options, etc. Read about little known ways to receive wedding discounts! – We should be talking to florists and cake people very soon!
9 months before your wedding day…
Decide on your ceremony & reception sites and reserve them for your wedding day. – At my church.
- Decide on a wedding officiant, a florist, and caterer. – No caterer…but we’re working on the rest.
Decide on a DJ or musician. Read about how to choose a DJ that is right for you!– No DJ (just a cake and punch reception)…for the ceremony, we have piano and organ music.
- Create a wedding website so your guests can find all the information they need in one place. – Maybe I should get to work on that!
Decide on what style wedding dress you want to wear. Not sure? Read about wedding dress styles or take the quiz: Which style wedding dress flatters your figure?– I have the most perfect dress in the world!
8 months before your wedding day…
- Plan your honeymoon and have your groom reserve the hotel rooms, etc. Having trouble deciding where to go? Take the quiz: Where should I go on my honeymoon?
- Finalize your guest list
- Go with your bridesmaids to look at their dresses and get ideas
- Meet with wedding cake designers and go to tastings
Decide on and hire a photographer. Read about what to look for in a photographer!– So excited for pictures!
- Decide on and hire a videographer. Read about why you should hire a videographer! – Probably not having one…
- Rent any equipment like chairs and tables that you may need – The church will have most of this stuff.
7 months before your wedding day…
- Order save-the-date cards or magnets
- Get all your guests’ addresses
- Order bridesmaids dresses & accessories
- Decide on a baker and order your wedding cake. Need help deciding what kind? Take our quiz: What type of wedding cake fits your personality? – I know what baker I want…but that’s about it.
- Think about what your groom and groomsmen will wear. Suits or Tuxes? – I’m thinking gray.
- Shop around for invitations and work on the invitation wording
6 months before your wedding day…
Make a final selection for a wedding dress
- Choose your veil and accessories to match your dress
- Decide what your parents will wear
- Finalize your honeymoon details
- Request off work if you need to
- Send out save the date cards
- Purchase or rent groom’s and groomsmen’s suits or tuxes
- Finalize the menu with the caterer
- Register! All your wedding registry questions are answered here.
5 months before your wedding day…
- Order or make your wedding favors. Here are some unique ideas.
- Reserve hotel rooms and make accommodations for out-of-town guests
- Start thinking about your make-up and hair
- Order your wedding invitations
- Create a wedding day timeline
- Make your wedding night plans & reservations
- Begin thinking about the rehearsal dinner
4 months before your wedding day…
- Plan your rehearsal dinner; decide on a location, menu, etc.
- Reserve a car, limo, or your desired wedding transportation
- Think about your wedding music (first dance song, father/daughter dance song, etc.)
- Book a hair dresser and make-up artist
- Help your maid of honor make a bridal shower guest list
- Shop for your wedding bands
3 months before your wedding day…
- Have your wedding shower
- Make sure your dress is tailored
- Finalize your wedding music
- Address the envelopes for your invitations
- Buy your wedding rings
- Have the maid of honor and best man make sure the wedding party has purchased their outfits and accessories
- Designate people to give toasts at the reception
- Make sure you have started an exercise routine and diet if you need to lose a few inches before getting into your dress! Here are some tips to tighten your tummy before your wedding day.
2 months before your wedding day…
- Buy your wedding party their gifts. Check out some cool wedding party gift ideas.
- Write your wedding vows if you so desire. Read about the secret to writing great vows!
- Send your wedding invitation 6-8 weeks before the wedding
- Start making a final guestlist as you begin to hear back from guests
- Fill out any documents needed to change your name
- If you are going to have your rings engraved, do so
- Fill out any documents needed to change your insurance information after married
- Create and print wedding programs
- Buy lingerie or undergarments before final dress fitting
- Send thank you notes for gifts received at your shower
1 month before your wedding day…
- Work on your seating chart
- Make or buy placeholder cards
- Get anything you need before your honeymoon (passport, shots, etc.)
- Do a final fitting for your dress; begin a diet and exercise routine if necessary
- Confirm all the details (arrival time, cost, etc.) with your wedding vendors
- Get a marriage license
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations
- Order alcohol
- Buy a guestbook
2 weeks before your wedding day…
- Take care of all the details like what you will use to cut the cake, toasting glasses, etc.
- Prepare welcome baskets for out-of-town guests
- Purchase thank you notes
- Finalize the menu, etc. for the rehearsal dinner.
- Finalize your seating chart.
- Give final headcount to caterer, etc.
- Do a hair and make-up trial run.
- Plan the activities for the night before your wedding.
- Help your wedding party plan the bachelor and bachelorette parties if they need it.
1 week before your wedding day…
- Get checks ready to give your wedding vendors.
- Make sure you have something old, something new, something borrowed, and (most importantly to us) something blue.
- Make sure you have a garter.
- Get a manicure, pedicure, hair cut, eye-brow wax, etc.
- Pick up your wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses
- Confirm all the details with your florist.
- Give the members of your wedding party their tasks for your special day.
- Pack for your honeymoon!
The day before your wedding day…
- Go to the spa to get a massage!
- Hold the rehearsal dinner.
- Give your wedding party and parents their gifts.
- Attend the bachelor or bachelorette party.
Well…I’m off to go look at my dress again.
Not so many pictures lately…I’ll work on it. I promise!