Prayers for Connecticut

     I was fully prepared to spend the next few weeks posting about Christmas and all of the fun things going on, but before we can get there, I feel so led to post about the tragedy in Connecticut.  To put it lightly, like all of you, I am overwhelmed with sadness at this senseless act.  I am in the middle of applying for teaching jobs; I just finished student teaching, and I cannot even begin to fathom losing my sweet kiddies to this kind of event.  My heart is just broken over the loss of such innocent lives.
     I just graduated, but I will always remember that one of the first things I learned in my education classes is that children should feel safe at school.  We are not always sure of their home lives, but we should strive to make school a safe place.  How devastating that the safety of the school building has been shattered for so many children.  For the past few days, I have been in almost constant prayer for the victims, their families, and the community of Newtown.  Overwhelming is truly the only word that comes to mind.
     My heart hurts for the families and for the community. I don’t yet have my own children, but I have been in so many classrooms. I may not know the love a mother has for her child, but I know the love a teacher has for her students.

Heavenly Father,
I pray that You will give the families of the victims
and the community of Newtown
that peace that only You can give…
the one that passes all understanding.
I pray that out of this tragedy,
You will create something so beautiful.
Heal those who are broken.
Shower them in Your love.
Fill them with peace and hope.
Fill our nation with hope.
Do Your will.
Comfort the parents and the families;
let them know beyond a shadow of a doubt
that those sweet babies are in Heaven.
They are being held by Your Father
and will never hurt again.

     Regardless of where you fall politically, this is a tragedy.  Lives are shattered,and their hope does not come from legislation.  Their hope can come only from the Lord.  These families need an outpouring of love.  I am committed to lifting them up in prayer.  Please pray; that is the most far-reaching, powerful thing we can do for them right now.  Pray, pray, pray.

Dear Jesus,

It's a good thing you were born at night. This world sure seems dark. I have a good eye for silver linings. But they seem dimmer lately.

These killings, Lord. These children, Lord. Innocence violated. Raw evil demonstrated.

The whole world seems on edge. Trigger-happy. Ticked off. We hear threats of chemical weapons and nuclear bombs. Are we one button-push away from annihilation?

Your world seems a bit darker this Christmas. But you were born in the dark, right? You came at night. The shepherds were nightshift workers. The Wise Men followed a star. Your first cries were heard in the shadows. To see your face, Mary and Joseph needed a candle flame. It was dark. Dark with Herod's jealousy. Dark with Roman oppression. Dark with poverty. Dark with violence.

Herod went on a rampage, killing babies. Joseph took you and your mom into Egypt. You were an immigrant before you were a Nazarene.

Oh, Lord Jesus, you entered the dark world of your day. Won't you enter ours? We are weary of bloodshed. We, like the wise men, are looking for a star. We, like the shepherds, are kneeling at a manger.

This Christmas, we ask you, heal us, help us, be born anew in us.

Hopefully,
Your Children
via

No comments