Get ready…because this cake is going to blow your mind. My daddy doesn’t even really like cake (he’s a pie person), but he seriously talks about this all the time…how could I not make it for him? Over Thanksgiving break, he and my mother went to a cabin in the mountains. I planned to have this waiting on him when he got back, but due to some rather unfortunate plumbing problems (lame), they had to come back early…so he obviously needed a feel-better cake. My sister and I spent the whole weekend wreath making, movie watching, and cracker baking.
You will need:
3 c. applesauce (sweet)
2 c. sugar
2 c. raisins (not necessary…but delicious)
4 c. all purpose flour
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional…but also delicious)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. shortening
…to be quite honest, the recipe I used didn’t have actual directions…so I’ll tell you what we did (which worked perfectly).
1. Mix all the dry ingredients, and whisk together.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, mix applesauce and shortening (you may need to use a hand mixer to break up the shortening).
3. A little at a time, mix the dry into the wet and mix well.
4. If desired, mix in raisins and walnuts.
5. Pour batter into well greased pan or Pyrex. I used Crisco to grease them, but I’m sure you could use parchment paper or another method.
6. Bake in preheated oven on 350 for about 25ish minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Note: We made two smaller cakes, so the cooking time may need to be adjusted. I would start at 25 and move up as needed).
For the icing, you will need:
2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter
1. Cook on stovetop until creamy and spread on cake. (Note: This will not thicken up like frosting. It’s more like a glaze that will need to be poured over the top…it would work as a poke cake too!)
Eat and be merry!
In case you’re hesitant about the applesauce, this is not a slap-you-in-the-face appley kind of cake. It really is very similar to a spice cake. Basically…Christmas in a Pyrex. Make it…go now.
P.S. We finished decorating today…pictures soon!