Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chicken with Mushrooms and Bacon

    I always do more cooking when I’m at home, you know…because I have a kitchen here.  A few days ago we decided to make a recipe that has been floating around our recipe box for a long time (that we’ve never even made) – chicken with mushrooms and bacon.  I love mushrooms and bacon, so right away I knew this was going to be perfect.
    So, without further ado…

You will need
    4 bacon slices cute into 1 in. pieces (we used 6)
    2 1/2 cups chopped onions
    1/2 lbs. mushrooms, thickly sliced (we used a whole pound)
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces (we used a few chicken breasts)
    1 c. dry red wine
    1 c. low-salt chicken broth
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning

(Note: the recipe says to cook this in a Dutch oven; we just used a really big pan with tallish sides.)

1.  Cook bacon over medium-high heat until almost crisp.  Using a slotted spoon transfer the bacon to paper towels.
2.  Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to the drippings in the pan.  Sauté until onions are tender and golden.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to bowl.
3.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Add to pot; sauté until brown.
4.  Return bacon and vegetables to pot, and add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and summer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.

DSCF2558

5.   Using a large spoon, skim fat from the top of the sauce and serve.  (Note: we served ours over pasta – wow!)

DSCF2561
    
    This was not a hard recipe at all!  I especially liked that it didn’t feel heavy; I guess because the sauce wasn’t creamy or tomatoey.  I hope you’re all having a wonderful week!  Happy cooking!

Allyson

12 comments:

Kelsey Poofy Cheeks said...

This is making my mouth water!! Looks super yummy Allyson!

Allyson said...

Oh it was! Thanks for stopping by!

Megan said...

Oh yum! This looks amazing. I love mushrooms.

Julie said...

This looks delicious! I want to make this, it's on my list... thanks for sharing : ) I've recently gotten into cooking and love finding new recipes. Can't wait to read more!

Julie
http://truelifetwenties.blogspot.com/

Allyson said...

I do too! So good!

Allyson said...

Thanks for stopping by! It was aaamazing!

Leah Bud said...

Yumm!! That sounds delicious.

Allyson said...

Oh it was! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Yummmmm! Yes Please!! I love everything about this recipe. Im sad I didnt see it for last weeks menu.. but Ill try it this week :) Check menu monday for it!

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now.. oh and enter my week of giveaways too! You can win some awesome stuff :)

Allyson said...

I hope you LOVE it! Thanks for letting me know about the linky; I'll be sure to stop by!

Jacqueline said...

This looks really good, my guy would love it more because of the mushrooms!

Allyson said...

Thanks! It was so good!